I Could Die Today

I could die today
Plucked out by hands of deepest black
Enveloped by my unknown final day
No arguments or negotiation

Simply stopped 
Claimed by absence
Consumed by the void
I could feel the last sunshine on my skin

Look my last person in the eyes
It could be you

Thousands of thoughts flutter in my mind each day
Meaningful – Mundane – Mine
Some beautiful, and yet others hurt-filled
I'm certain that my last one
Will not shine above the rest
My last words will not
Be the brightest uttered in my time
Don't look for a grand meaning in them
I'm not a story

My life is a blanket
Threads knitted together
No stitch greater than the rest
Moment linked to moment linked to moment
Each weaves together to make a whole

While the scissors of fate hang above
Promising to fall eventually
Slicing to end the pattern
Cutting a clear line
Creating stillness

I could die today
But I'm living now
And my blanket is for you

Comments